CHARLES CRAIG TEACHING AWARD
The Charles Craig Teaching Award recognizes young dental educators who have demonstrated innovative techniques in teaching the art, science and literature of dentistry. This award honors individuals who have implemented innovative teaching techniques into dental education.
The goal of the award is to encourage young dental faculty to develop creative methods for teaching the art, science and literature of dentistry to dental students. The award will recognize educators who have introduced original methods that not only educate students but motivate them to be perennial learners and dental educators. This award will be given to faculty members early in their careers to distinguish them, as well as encourage other young faculty members. The award will also serve as a formal method for creative teachers to be recognized by peers at the national level.
The recipient receives a certificate of recognition and a $1000 cash award.
Eligible candidates must be full time dental educators in an American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation accredited dental school. The candidate must have been a dental educator for not more than 7 years.
- Letters of solicitation will be sent to chapter liaisons in September, along with other annual reminders.
- Each school will develop its own nominating process. A nominee must be approved by both the dean of the dental school and the president of the school’s OKU chapter.
- The dean and president of the OKU component chapter must each submit letters of recommendation. In addition, the application must include a letter of support from one faculty member and one student who are familiar with the nominee's teaching. The letters should include:
- a description of the individual's innovative teaching techniques
- how his/her teaching has motivated and educated students
- how his/her innovative teaching contributes to the school's curricula goals
- how the individual has encouraged student scholarship and life long learning
- how the teacher has motivated students to become dental educators
The OKU Supreme Chapter Charles Craig Committee will serve as the selection committee. The selection committee will make its decision by January 1 of the year of the Supreme Chapter's Annual Business Meeting.
The award will be presented at the OKU Annual Business Meeting.
2019 - Pinelopi Xenoudi, University of California, SF
2020 - Parvati Iyer, University of the Pacific
2021 - Scott Radniecki, Creighton University
2022 - James Chen, University of the Pacific
2023 - Patricia Swanson, Stony Brook University